Sunday 25 November 2012

Couch to 5k: Weeks 1-3

I've recently started the couch to 5k program, because for some crazy reason I decided to sign up for a 7k run early next year.

I know 7k's is nothing to my running friends. But, I have not done ANY form of cardio for years. Strength training yes. But cardio no. For two reasons. I (used to) lose weight easily, and I get bad reflux. But I realised these were just excuses. I could make sure I eat enough, and make sure I eat at the right times to control the reflux.

And so I downloaded the app and 3 weeks ago I became a runner.

It has taken me a while to work out a good route. I live in a very hilly area, and hills are just too much of a challenge for me right now- running alone is enough. This week (week 3) I have found a route that is mostly flat - apart from the killer 200 steps on the way back up. They are in the 'warm down' time, but I still need to stop half way to catch my breath.

Week 1 starts with 60 seconds jogging and 60 seconds walking repeated for 20 minutes. I'm gonna be honest- for me this was hard. I completed each day, but it was not easy. I was sweaty, out of breath, and just out of shape.

Week 2 increased the running tome to 1.5 mins, and I found I could handle this.
And something started to happen to me- I actually wanted to run. The crazy exercise endorphins kicked in! I have had to make sure to take rest days, as I don't wanna overdo it, and fall behind (and I'm still doing power/yoga/abs classes, so I do them on the 'off' days.)

Week 3 increased to 3 minute runs with 3 mins walking, then a 1.5 min run with 1.5 min walking, repeated. And, again, the first 3 minute run was a killer. So hard. But I did it each time, and managed to slowly increase my speed too, so I'm feeling good. I'm realising its as much of a mental battle as a physical one.

Looking ahead to week 4 and 5 I am a little scared! 5 min runs, then 8 mins then a 20 min run next week! This from a girl who barely managed 1 minute intervals 3 weeks ago. I've already decided to just take it slow, and not feel bad if I have to repeat days. But I can't wait for the day I can run 20 minutes solid!

I'll keep you updated on my progress. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...